Sunday, August 30, 2009

Clanging beer mugs and stale dish rags

Over the weekend, Rockstar Aimz blogged her playlist of favorite drinking related songs. Her title "King of Beers" caught my eye as that used to be the tagline for Budwiser - sponsor of the #9 Richard Petty Motorsports Dodge.


But once I realized her entry wasn't about racing, I still read closely because her music interests mirror mine pretty closely. While I don't collect drinking songs specifically (songs with city names in their title is my forte), I had a few faves I wanted to throw into the mix. I know there are scads of songs out there on the subject across every conceivable music genre. My music of choice, however, the last 15 to 20 years has been alt-country, Americana, folk rock, or however you want to label it. And the songs below clearly reflect that bias.

Several of the songs on my faves list make their way to an annual playlist I compile for our NASCAR race weekend in Charlotte for the Coca-Cola 600. (Funny - hadn't thought about it until now, but none of these songs involve soft drinks.)

Out in the Parking Lot - Guy Clark



Whole Lotta Liquor to Like Her - Pete Schlegel



Ol' Milwaukee's Best - Adam Carrol



Drunk All Around This Town - Scott Miller



I Came To Drink - Chance



Sell A Lot of Beer - Warren Brothers



Horseshoe Lounge - Slaid Cleaves



One Bud Wiser - John Rich (sung here by Gretchen Wilson)



Bar Exam - The Derailers

Barlight - Charlie Robison

And for those of you who follow my racing blog, you know I can't leave out this one...



This is one of those blog entries where Rockstar Aimz and I could use your help. Don't just read this time - contribute. Belly up to the bar with a comment of a song or two or ten to add to our lists. Comment your additions here or at My Aimz is True - doesn't matter to me. Just comment away and relax knowing its 5 o'clock somewhere.

TMC

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff! I had never heard "Whole Lotta Liquor to Like Her." Awesome!

    My brother is a big racing fan (Nascar, F1, rally, anything with wheels). I'll tell him about your blogs!

    ReplyDelete