Monday, January 17, 2011

In recognition of MLK Day

Off and on the last couple of days, I've pondered if I should blog something about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. During lunch today, I read the January issue of The Contributor, a newspaper published and sold by the homeless of Nashville, and a poem contributed by Jesse Hayes jumped off the page at me.

I don't know Jesse, but I think I understand the basic message of his poem knowing he has been homeless. Yet like all poetry and lyrics to a song, a poet's or composer's original meaning is often different when interpreted by the eyes, ears, heart, and mind of another reader or listener.

Reading Jesse's poem today brought to my mind images of MLK and the civil rights movement for which he so passionately fought.
The Struggle - by Jesse Hayes

Time after time I find I'm drowning in a sea of despair
doubtfully I open up my eyes searching for a road that leads somewhere
when it seems that all hope is gone memory brings back to me what your love has done
so I'll glory in all my tribulation knowing that it will make me strong
surrounded by a great could of witnesses
I'll struggle until the race is won
I'll struggle until the race is won
I'll struggle until the race is won

Faith is being sure of what we hope for
certain of what we do not see
when the trumpet sounds and Jesus comes to take us
I pray my faith will still abide in thee.
TMC

No comments:

Post a Comment