Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Steve Earle sings Townes CHEAP

Got a tip through the Todd Snider list-serv today about a fantastic, limited offer at Amazon. New West Records and Amazon are offering Steve Earle's new album Townes in MP3 format for $2.99. That's the entire album - not just a sample track or two.

I've not been the biggest Earle fan over the years - either musically or politically. I do have Copperhead Road and El Corazon - both of which are good. And he's had singles off and on over the years that have been pretty good as well. But I do know he idolized Townes Van Zandt. He did so to the point he named his son, Justin Townes Earle, after him. From all that I've read, Earle really put a lot of effort into the recording Towne's songs and tried to pay the songs and TVZ himself with as much respect as possible.

Steve also uttered his infamous quote "Townes van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world, and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." To which TVZ laughingly replied "I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards, and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken."

Enough with the typing. Just click the album cover and fork over the $2.99 for what is certain to be a great listen.


TMC

1 comment:

  1. I've been listening to this on Rhapsody. I must say I haven't loved it as much as I hoped I would. My favorite "tribute" album recently is the one a group of Texas/Red Dirt artists recorded for REK. It was recorded live at Steamboat, and each song is a work of art. I was hoping for something like that with this Steve Earle project, which was probably too high of an expectation.

    ReplyDelete