Sunday, December 28, 2008

Nashville Project Homeless Connect

"...so He got up from the meal, took off His outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around Him... ' ~ John 13:4-5

Earlier this month, I spent a few hours volunteering at the Project Homeless Connect in Nashville. Specifically, I spent time with some tremendous folks at Room in the Inn's foot care booth. I watched with awe as nursing students from Vanderbilt University and Motlow College took time washing the feet of the homeless, trimming their nails, and inspecting their toes for signs of larger problems such as diabetes.

My meager efforts were to welcome folks, distribute some literature, answer a handful of questions, and give socks to the nursing students when the feet were dry. These folks didn't rush through their effort or ignore the person being served - either by not talking to them or talking around them. Instead, they welcomed each person with a smile and introduction and talked to them off-and-on during the foot care. It was a truly a Christ-like moment seeing this amount of compassion generously doled out.

Some three weeks or so later, these caregivers finally got their props with an article in The Tennessean buried in the local news section. But at least someone finally took notice of the tremendous compassion offered that day.

One quote jumped off the page for me. While spoken by one of the nursing students, it succinctly states my feelings each time I have the opportunity to spend time with these folks.
"I realized how fortunate I am and how my problems are minute compared to not having food or shelter," she said. "It was a very humbling experience, and I walked away thanking God for my life and praying for those not as fortunate."
If you are in the greater Nashville area, please find a way to help support and serve with Room in the Inn. Its truly a tremendous program.

For more info, you can check out their web site at www.chd-nashville.org/room-in-the-inn.html.

TMC

No comments:

Post a Comment